Pureed Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup
(900 mL) carton low-sodium chicken broth
1 small onion, diced
1 tbsp (15 mL) of your favourite Indian curry paste (Can leave this out)tbsp (15 mL) of your favourite Indian curry paste (Can leave this out)
1/2 cup (125 mL) split red lentils (Canned and rinsed are ok too)
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch (1 cm) pieces
1 cup (250 mL) Milk or lactose free milk
2 cups (500 mL) packed baby spinach
2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
Plain Yogurt for serving (optional)
- Place broth, onion and curry paste in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add lentils, reduce heat and simmer covered for 5 min. Add sweet potato, continue to simmer covered about 10 min until lentils and sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add milk to hot soup.
- Ladle about ⅓ of the soup into a blender or food processor (being very careful as it is hot). Purée, then return to soup in saucepan.
- Add spinach. Stir over medium heat, but don’t boil, just until spinach is wilted, 1 to 2 min. Stir in lemon juice.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt, if using.